When the brigadier (brigade's general) Eduardo Gomes applied to be president at the 1945 elections, calculating the weaknesses and lacks of his possible votants, he realized that men, independently of their ideology, are conquered through the stomach. Having this shortcut into account, he used to serve this chocolate sweets at his electoral campaigns, "o preferido do brigadeiro" (the brigade general's favourite), which become just brigadeiros. Nowadays is the national sweet, so present in brazilians daily life, that is one of the most confiscated products by the customs police.
- 1 can of condensed milk
- 1 spoonfull of butter
- 3 spoonfulls of chocolate powder (bitter better)
- 1 small bag of chocolate sprinkles
1. Put the condensed milk, butter and cocoa powder in a pan and cook together at low heat, stirring constantly.
2. Cook until the mixture loosens from the bottom of the pan and it is thick like cream.
3. Put the mixture on a greased plate and allow it to cool down completely.
4. Roll the mixture into small balls. (Tip: Grease your hands with butter beforemaking the small balls). Put the chocolate sprinkles in a bowl and roll the small balls in the chocolate sprinkles. I also added grated coconut.